.jpg)
We have gotten a little busier the last few days. We have had several interesting cases. We had our first patient die under our care the other day. He was ANP and had been run over or something (the report was that he had "nausea and vomiting"). He came to us barely alive with a splint on his leg from a complete tib-fib fracture and vomiting. He didn't even have an IV. Needless to say, this was quite a different presentation than we expected. It turned out he had a pelvis fracture, several broken ribs in addition to the previously mentioned tib-fib fracture. So, it was some sort of blunt force trauma that did it (we are thinking he was run over by something). Anyway, he arrested within minutes of arrival, so we did the normal ATLS stuff. Greg performed a thorocotomy in the trauma bay (didn't find anything in the chest other than the heart was beating, but empty which signaled massave bleeding from somewhere other than the chest), I put in a right
chest tube after getting IO access with the manubrium IO device (everyone at ECM, remember I said I was going to do that?). That FAST IO works really well. We are able to give the first two rounds of ACLS drugs though it in addition to IV fluids and blood products. An E-Fast exam was performed with the ultrasound and found nothing in the peritoneum (so now we were thinking the blood loss must be retroperitoneal, most likely from the fractured pelvis). We eventually got a SCL line in on the right side and moved everything to it. Anyway, the IO device d
id prove its worth. It took all of about 30-45 seconds to get it. After about 35 minutes of CPR with no perfusing rythm, we called it. If we could have gotten a rythm back, we would have done a laporotomy and packed the pelvis since that seems to be where he bled from. Anyway, that was a good case that had a bad outcome. I beleive the patient was salvagable if he had gotten to us in time. He was dropped off at a local ANP compound and then eventually transported to us by ground. That takes a lot of time here, especially at night when bad guys are walking aro
und (we received the patient at 2345 or so). We take for granted a reliable and safe EMT service at home. We have to go to the front gate to get the patients in our FLA (Hummer ambulance) and we can't even do that without wearing full body armor, weapon and all. We also had a 10 year old boy that had a through and through GSWs to both legs. The projectiles missed all major vascular and nerve structures and we just washed out both legs. Apparently, he was caught in some crossfire between ANP and some Taliban. Changing the subject, we got to shoot some AK-47s the other day, so here's some pictures of that. I had made friends with some of the contractor and military trainers at the ANP compound, so in addition to shooting the AK-47s, we are going to get some combatives (hand to hand combat) training there next week. I think that will be fun.
The military has 3 levels of combatives training and we should be able to get at least level one certified before I leave. It gives us something to do when we are not working on patients. Anything to keep yourself occupied makes the time go by faster. I had some combatives training when I was in the Marine Corps (a long time ago) and it looks like the new training is better than what I have had. It incorporates at lot of the MMA (mixed martial arts) techniques. Since its almost Christmas, I thought I would throw in a picture of me with my Santa hat on. That's it for this post, so see yall later!.jpg)
chest tube after getting IO access with the manubrium IO device (everyone at ECM, remember I said I was going to do that?). That FAST IO works really well. We are able to give the first two rounds of ACLS drugs though it in addition to IV fluids and blood products. An E-Fast exam was performed with the ultrasound and found nothing in the peritoneum (so now we were thinking the blood loss must be retroperitoneal, most likely from the fractured pelvis). We eventually got a SCL line in on the right side and moved everything to it. Anyway, the IO device d
id prove its worth. It took all of about 30-45 seconds to get it. After about 35 minutes of CPR with no perfusing rythm, we called it. If we could have gotten a rythm back, we would have done a laporotomy and packed the pelvis since that seems to be where he bled from. Anyway, that was a good case that had a bad outcome. I beleive the patient was salvagable if he had gotten to us in time. He was dropped off at a local ANP compound and then eventually transported to us by ground. That takes a lot of time here, especially at night when bad guys are walking aro
und (we received the patient at 2345 or so). We take for granted a reliable and safe EMT service at home. We have to go to the front gate to get the patients in our FLA (Hummer ambulance) and we can't even do that without wearing full body armor, weapon and all. We also had a 10 year old boy that had a through and through GSWs to both legs. The projectiles missed all major vascular and nerve structures and we just washed out both legs. Apparently, he was caught in some crossfire between ANP and some Taliban. Changing the subject, we got to shoot some AK-47s the other day, so here's some pictures of that. I had made friends with some of the contractor and military trainers at the ANP compound, so in addition to shooting the AK-47s, we are going to get some combatives (hand to hand combat) training there next week. I think that will be fun.
The military has 3 levels of combatives training and we should be able to get at least level one certified before I leave. It gives us something to do when we are not working on patients. Anything to keep yourself occupied makes the time go by faster. I had some combatives training when I was in the Marine Corps (a long time ago) and it looks like the new training is better than what I have had. It incorporates at lot of the MMA (mixed martial arts) techniques. Since its almost Christmas, I thought I would throw in a picture of me with my Santa hat on. That's it for this post, so see yall later!.jpg)
.jpg)
Hey Kevin,
ReplyDeleteYou look really cute in your Santa hat...I cannot say that for the snowman...he looks pretty rough...is he one of the ones you all shot? It sounds like you have been pretty busy...I'm sorry about the man who died...it sounds like the little boy will be ok...I know you said he would live but what is his condition as in permanent damage? We are having everyone over today for Christmas dinner...we will miss you so much but will think about when you will be home again. Madeline just called me and asked when they were supposed to be here today...I think she has the sweetest little voice in the world...Stacy lost her cell phone yesterday in the TJ Mac parking lot...so Madeline called me on her phone...some guy named Curtis found the phone and when I called it to talk to Stacy he answered...I thought he was Austin so it was a funny story because I talked to him several times trying to figure out where to meet him to get the phone back...finally I figured out he was not Austin but to make a long story short I picked up the phone at Shoe Carnival and Stacy is going to pick it up today when they come over to eat. I have to put the roast in the oven so I will write you again later.
Kevin, I love you very much...
Mom
Hey Kevo,
ReplyDeleteIt's Mom again. The martial arts stuff sounds interesting...you should do well with it since you have your black belt anyway...by the way we ran into Jim Weekly (your karate instructor) the other day...he said he was real proud of all you have accomplished. He immediatlely remembered you. I just got back from mailing you some more strawberry/kiwi rollups...that should get you enough before you come home...WOW that really sounds good too say doesn't it ! Well, the Christmas dinner went really well yesterday...Stacy and the kids really had a good time. I was so glad they came...the food turned out well (Stacy took some home with her), the kids liked their presents, and all seemed to have a great time. We will have a big dinner here when you get home...Paul now can get on your blogspot...I am trying to explain to him how to write you...I haven't been successful yet but I will keep trying...
I love you, Kevin...be careful and aware...
Mom
Hey Kevin that snowdude has a fat head and needs a nose.
ReplyDeleteYou look natural with that AK in your hands. Did you show off you marksmanship skills, I think you told me while you were in the Marines you had high marks in that. How accurate are you with that 9 mm? I'm sure driving the Rosomak 8X8 was awesome.
Hey that scarf looks to be houndstooth!!
Hello everyone! Mom, the little boy will be fine. The projectiles tore his quadraceps up pretty good, but he should have a good recovery eventually. I have some pictures I can show you when I get home. He was a really tough kid. Afghans are really tough people. It's a hard life here for them. Darrin, the AK-47 was a neat weapon, although I believe the M-16 is more accurate. I qualified as a pistol expert with the 9mm with 27 hits out of 30. I went to the Hodgie bazaar and got me a different scarf since you said that. I will give you the houndstooth one! Talk to yall later!
ReplyDeleteI think that scarf looks great on you. When you get back we can have that script "A" monogramed on it for you.
ReplyDeleteHey that is very good with that 9mm. At what distance were you shooting it? I'm not very accurate with mine at 30 yrds. Inside that pretty good.
I talked w/ Daniel today at RTJ. I got to play some the weather was great(61 degrees).
(Austin said) Hey kevin you're lookin like someone in COD MW2 with that M-16. Man that's awesome. Hey, like Darrin said, that scarf is houndstooth! You have converted to "Roll Tide" over there!! If you want I'll try to find you some Alabama scrub hats so that you can get rid of the TN one's!! Ha Ha. What you need to do is show the Polish and the Afghans the Alabama version of the Rosomak....your "JEEP" from the pictures off of my facebook page! Tell them that's how you roll back home! C-ya bro!
ReplyDeleteThat is great with the 9mm. At what distance do you qualify? With mine I'm accurate only inside 20 yds.
ReplyDeleteI saw Daniel at RTJ today. Sunny and 61 degrees today. Not bad for late Dec.
Hey, as for the scarf it looks great on you, when you get back we will have to have a script "A" monogramed on it for you.
Already mailed the houndstooth scarf back home. I got a new one. Darrin, the qualification course for the M9 involves engaging pop-up targets at ranges of 10-31 meters. You have 7 magazines with different amounts of rounds in them that are to be used at certain times of the qualification (for some sections of the course, you must drop and load a new magazine without delay). You have 2-3 seconds to engage single targets and 3-4 seconds to engage multiple targets as they "pop" up. It is a pretty realistic course since the targets pop up from the left and right of center. You only have hits or misses. That's it! Sometimes you engage a close and far target at the same time. I find it easier to shoot at the farther target first and then move to the close one. If you miss, you have to decide real quick if you are going to shoot at the first one again or move to the next since they are only visible for 3-4 seconds. Talk to you later!
ReplyDeleteHey Kevin,
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas Eve to you...We are having real strange weather here today...extremely windy, cold and wet. The lake has waves about as big as we have ever had...huge white caps and splashing over the pier. We will go to your Aunt Shelia's house tomorrow for their Christmas Day meal...that is always interesting as you know...Austin mentioned your jeep...he has it looking great. He has waxed it and the trim around the tires and all is now black instead of faded gray...he has really fixed it up for you. He is going to have the oil changed because it is way over due. Well, gotta go...Have a Merry Christmas tomorrow...Love you,
Mom