.jpg)
Merry Christmas!! We had a pretty good Christmas here. I really miss my family and it has been tough being away from them. We
had a secret Santa party with our group on the 23rd. Here is a picture of me opening my gift (I got a American flag that was flown on September 11, 2009 over my FOB). We also have a small Christmas tree and we had put the presents underneath it. As you can see, we had limited wrapping paper (actually, we had NO wrapping paper, but we found some stuff). The picture with us outside (Greg, Galen and myself in front of the Christmas tree) is in front of a real Christmas tree the the ADT (Agricultural Development Team) obtained from somewhere. I thought it was
cool because I haven't seen a tree like that anywhere (Afghanistan isn't known for it's pine forests). We had one patient on Christmas Eve, a Polish soldier who had apparently shot himself in the hand. After we fixed that, we watched Apocalypse Now until about 0100 in the morning. Went to bed, got up Christmas morning at 0600 and worked out in the gym, ate breakfast, took a nap, got up at 1145 and ate some Afghan food (sheep meat with bread and rice that came from Ghazni City). We then played a football game with some of the Medivac team on the flight line. Here's a picture of our
football team before the game. I wore my Hodgie scarf on my head for good luck. My team won by one touchdown (we intercepted a pass in overtime to seal the win). I then got to Skpe with my family and watch them open Christmas gifts. That was really cool. Anyway, that was Christmas in Afghanistan. .jpg)
cool because I haven't seen a tree like that anywhere (Afghanistan isn't known for it's pine forests). We had one patient on Christmas Eve, a Polish soldier who had apparently shot himself in the hand. After we fixed that, we watched Apocalypse Now until about 0100 in the morning. Went to bed, got up Christmas morning at 0600 and worked out in the gym, ate breakfast, took a nap, got up at 1145 and ate some Afghan food (sheep meat with bread and rice that came from Ghazni City). We then played a football game with some of the Medivac team on the flight line. Here's a picture of our
football team before the game. I wore my Hodgie scarf on my head for good luck. My team won by one touchdown (we intercepted a pass in overtime to seal the win). I then got to Skpe with my family and watch them open Christmas gifts. That was really cool. Anyway, that was Christmas in Afghanistan. .jpg)
.jpg)
Hey Kevin,
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas !!! It was really great talking to you this morning...I enjoyed my brief talk with Scott...he sounds like a lot of fun to be around. I know being around people like that makes this whole thing a lot easier. It is actually snowing here...it is really pretty. It looks like your "wrapping paper" is actually the sterile drapes and towels and stuff you use in surgeries. The tree outside is really BIG. That is amazing they could find a tree and bring it to ya'll. The football game sounded fun. What happened to all the snow...I see some of the guys are wearing shorts !!! How is that possible? I'm glad you got to see Madeline and Carter on Christmas morning via your computer. That is awesome...Well, your Dad and I are going to Shelia's house today and tomorrow we are taking Paul to see Doug and Dot in Nashville. By the way, if you find some pretty scarves that are long to go around my neck I would like some. I love pretty long scarves. Well gotta go...
I love you, Kevin...be careful and aware...
Mom
Hey Mom! Most of the snow has melted, but it is still cool outside. Playing football warmed us up a little bit. If you want a scarf, I can get many types at the Hodgie bazaar. They have some made of silk and pashmina. Most of the locals wear pashmina. Let me know what colors you like. Talk to you later!
ReplyDeleteHey Kevin,
ReplyDeleteI am excited about the Hodgie bazaar. The pashmina sounds good to me. I wear a lot of black so anything with black in it would be great. I like purple, pink, blue and brown colors also. I think anything you pick would be fine...the houndstooth was pretty cool !!! Thank you for looking for me...
The weather here today is chilling...the wind is really strong and cold. A lot of people at church asked about you today. They all try to keep you in their prayers.
The trip to Nashville went well yesterday. Paul had a real good time. Doug and Dot were doing ok. Doug will turn 91 years old in three weeks. How about that!!!
Well, I have to help your Dad take down the Christmas decorations. I will talk to you again later...
I love you and be careful and aware...
Mom
(Austin said) Hello Kevin! I like the gag gift in the picture....snowman poop! Pretty cool gift. We're glad you had a good Christmas away from home, I know it's tuff but you're almost done my friend! That football game looked fun....another game you could play would be "smear the queer". I like the look of the scarf on the head. How much are the houndstooth scarfs? Will you get to bring the flag home that flew over the FOB? It would be awesome if you could! Take care and we'll talk again soon...bye bro!
ReplyDeleteHey Bro, this Is Daniel. It was great talking to you and seeing on Christmas! It sounds like you guys made the best of the holidays across the pond. The kids had a great Christmas and seemed to get everything they wanted but I know they missed you.
ReplyDeleteThose are some great pictures that you posted, those are some tough looking trucks. Were there any scouts at that football game because you guys look like you could make to the pros! I hope you have a great new year and keep in touch.
Hey Austin and Daniel! I can get both of yall a scarf if you want. I will bring the flag home. It was a really cool gift that means alot to me. Everyone here has been really great to work with. In a wierd sort of way, I am going to miss this place. We have done alot of good. I was asked by my commander to come back in April 2010 to finish this mission with the unit (They all leave in June-July 2010 and will be replaced by another group). Part of me wanted to do it, but I have to get back home (and Stacy would be upset!). I have 1 1/2 years left in the Army, so I may get my chance again towards to the end of that time. This has been a crazy experience and I have seen so much. I don't think I will look at things the same way ever again. Anyway, talk to yall later!
ReplyDeleteHey Kevin,
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year's Eve !!! The weather here is so cold and wet. I hope you get your strawberry/kiwi rollups soon. I am very excited about the scarves. I love things like that...thank you for shopping for me !!! Well, a whole new year ahead of all of us...it should be an interesting year...
Your Dad and Paul have been working on the farm, banding calves, etc. Your Dad is going to have to move some dirt in the catch area of the barnyard. I'm sure Paul misses you helping him out at the farm. I'm getting excited about you coming home soon...
Well, gotta go...I love you...
Mom
Hey Kevin,
ReplyDeleteWe just got in from church. Stacy and the kids ate with us at CiCi's Pizza after church. They brought two little friends. Carter spilled his whole drink on Larry's leg...that made it cold for him to go to the car since the temperature is 24 degrees!!! They were going to see a movie after eating. All of them had a real good time.
Larry and I have to go back to work tomorrow... oh well, all good things must come to an end !!! We had a good holiday season except for the fact that you were not here...We all cannot wait for you to come back home. Stacy told us all about the different schools sending you cards and letters from the little kids...I think that is awesome.
Well, gotta go...
I love you and please stay aware...
Mom