Monday, November 9, 2009

Arrival in Bagram, Afghanistan




October 20, 2009


We are finally in Afghanistan. We flew in on a C-17 Air Force Transport. It was a really cool flight. There was a rocket attack right before we landed. Apparently, that happens often here. The RPGs seldom hit anything of any importance though. We will spend the next 2 days in Bagram and then catch a Chinook helicopter ride to FOB Ghazni. We stayed at the Craig Joint Theater Hospital while we waited for transportation. The hospital is right next to an old Soviet hanger where about 100 Soviet soldiers were hung by Afghan rebels in 1989. The Medivac team uses the hanger now. There is a lot of old Soviet equipment around. The first picture is of the inside of the C-17 aircraft. The second one is of the truck that was damaged by the rocket next to the hospital. The projectile didn't explode, it just bounced off. There were four soldiers inside the truck that weren't injured.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man (This is Austin again), I bet those guys in that truck had to clean out their pants after they got out! Seriously, I hope no one was hurt. Ihope you get this message because I'm not sure about that profile selection. I just select anonymous and insert my name in the message so you know it's me. C-ya bro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noone was hurt, just a little rattled as you could imagine. Like I said, these attacks are random and don't appear to be aiming at anyone. It's luck of the draw. Also, the stuff they use is old and many are duds like this one. See ya bro!

    ReplyDelete