.jpg)
.jpg)
10 October 2009
I am being deployed as an anesthesia provider (CRNA) to Afghanistan with the 452nd CSH in support of OEF 10. I will post here regularly to keep everyone up to date on my progress. I left my house this morning about 0445. I have to catch a plane in Huntsville with a destination of Ft. Benning, GA. Ft. Benning is where the CRC (CONUS Replacement Center) is located for the Army. There I will spend a week or so getting training, shots, medical, equipment, etc. that I need for my deployment. It was rough leaving my family today. I can't tell you how hard it was to leave my wife and kids. Carter (my 6 year old boy) wasn't too bad, but leaving my little girl (Madeline, 9 years old) was very difficult. She has always been the more emotional one of the two. Stacy (my wonderful wife!) has been through this several times before (I've been in the military since we were dating). It's always hard to do this, but anyway time to move on! It was wierd, but when I got to Atlanta, a saw another soldier with the same medical patch that I had. I went up and started talking to him and it turned out that he was going to the same place in Afghanistan that I was. At the CRC, we were deploying with 300 or so other soldiers, contractors, DOD civilians (most going to Iraq) going all over the place and I ran into him right off the bat. His name was MAJ Greg Watson from Pittsburg, PA. He was going to be the trauma surgeon that I would be working with. It turned out that there were 3 of us going to the Ghazni province in Afghanistan. The other surgeon was a Orthopedic specialist from Kingsport, TN (his mane is LTC Galen Smith and I had known him from some training we had done at Ft. Lewis, WA earlier this year). We met up with him at the CRC later that day. So, that's the team that will be providing surgical trauma care in Ghazni Province (2 surgeons and one anesthesia provider). The first picture is of myself and the 2 surgeons on my team and the second is my kids and I(dogs too) the morning I left.
I am being deployed as an anesthesia provider (CRNA) to Afghanistan with the 452nd CSH in support of OEF 10. I will post here regularly to keep everyone up to date on my progress. I left my house this morning about 0445. I have to catch a plane in Huntsville with a destination of Ft. Benning, GA. Ft. Benning is where the CRC (CONUS Replacement Center) is located for the Army. There I will spend a week or so getting training, shots, medical, equipment, etc. that I need for my deployment. It was rough leaving my family today. I can't tell you how hard it was to leave my wife and kids. Carter (my 6 year old boy) wasn't too bad, but leaving my little girl (Madeline, 9 years old) was very difficult. She has always been the more emotional one of the two. Stacy (my wonderful wife!) has been through this several times before (I've been in the military since we were dating). It's always hard to do this, but anyway time to move on! It was wierd, but when I got to Atlanta, a saw another soldier with the same medical patch that I had. I went up and started talking to him and it turned out that he was going to the same place in Afghanistan that I was. At the CRC, we were deploying with 300 or so other soldiers, contractors, DOD civilians (most going to Iraq) going all over the place and I ran into him right off the bat. His name was MAJ Greg Watson from Pittsburg, PA. He was going to be the trauma surgeon that I would be working with. It turned out that there were 3 of us going to the Ghazni province in Afghanistan. The other surgeon was a Orthopedic specialist from Kingsport, TN (his mane is LTC Galen Smith and I had known him from some training we had done at Ft. Lewis, WA earlier this year). We met up with him at the CRC later that day. So, that's the team that will be providing surgical trauma care in Ghazni Province (2 surgeons and one anesthesia provider). The first picture is of myself and the 2 surgeons on my team and the second is my kids and I(dogs too) the morning I left.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment