.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
19 October 2009
If you remember from my last post, I was waiting on the plane at Lawson Airmay Airfield at Ft. Benning. Well, the plane didn't get there for 36 hours. That's typical military, we got there early and then just waited..... We were on lockdown, so we couldn't go anywhere but the terminal. We left Ft. Benning aroung 1900 on 18 October flying to Bangor, Maine. We got there around 2300 EST, got off the plane for about 1 hour. There were some very nice volunteers there that welcomed all of us and gave us free stuff to eat. Also, they had cell phones for us to use to call home. We get back on the plane and fly to Lipsing, Germany. We get off the plane for about two hours and then get back on. Next stop Kuwait City International Airport. We get to Kuwait (local time was about 1900 and it was dark) and are put onto some buses with a destination of Ali Al Saleem Airbase (not sure where in Kuwait that is, but it all looks the same). We get into bed around 0330 local time. I wake up around 1100 local time at it was dark. I'm thinking I slept all day. We (Greg and I) were in a tent with 10 other soldiers. I touch the side of the tent and it was hot. I thinking that this is strange. So, I get up and I see Greg getting up too. I turn on my flashlight and walk to the front of the tent and open the door. I will never forget how bright that sun was. It was 1100 in the morning and the desert sun was so bright it was blinding. It was also like looking into an oven it was so hot. It turned out the the power had gone off, the air conditioning in the tent was off and it was probably the heat that woke me up. Since I hadn't really seen light in 2 days (we left CRC at night, rode the plane during the day and landed in Kuwait at night), the sun was blinding. Kuwait is a miserable place, it was 100+ for the two days I was there and there is nothing but flat desert as far as you can see. Here are some pictures from Kuwait. We are now awaiting transportation to Afghanistan.
If you remember from my last post, I was waiting on the plane at Lawson Airmay Airfield at Ft. Benning. Well, the plane didn't get there for 36 hours. That's typical military, we got there early and then just waited..... We were on lockdown, so we couldn't go anywhere but the terminal. We left Ft. Benning aroung 1900 on 18 October flying to Bangor, Maine. We got there around 2300 EST, got off the plane for about 1 hour. There were some very nice volunteers there that welcomed all of us and gave us free stuff to eat. Also, they had cell phones for us to use to call home. We get back on the plane and fly to Lipsing, Germany. We get off the plane for about two hours and then get back on. Next stop Kuwait City International Airport. We get to Kuwait (local time was about 1900 and it was dark) and are put onto some buses with a destination of Ali Al Saleem Airbase (not sure where in Kuwait that is, but it all looks the same). We get into bed around 0330 local time. I wake up around 1100 local time at it was dark. I'm thinking I slept all day. We (Greg and I) were in a tent with 10 other soldiers. I touch the side of the tent and it was hot. I thinking that this is strange. So, I get up and I see Greg getting up too. I turn on my flashlight and walk to the front of the tent and open the door. I will never forget how bright that sun was. It was 1100 in the morning and the desert sun was so bright it was blinding. It was also like looking into an oven it was so hot. It turned out the the power had gone off, the air conditioning in the tent was off and it was probably the heat that woke me up. Since I hadn't really seen light in 2 days (we left CRC at night, rode the plane during the day and landed in Kuwait at night), the sun was blinding. Kuwait is a miserable place, it was 100+ for the two days I was there and there is nothing but flat desert as far as you can see. Here are some pictures from Kuwait. We are now awaiting transportation to Afghanistan.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment